- Little Rock School District
Letter to LRSD Community March 12, 2020
March 12, 2020
Good Afternoon, LRSD School Community:
As a result of the growing concerns and elevated risks related to the COVID-19 virus, The Little Rock School District will be closed, Friday, March 13 through Friday, March 27, 2020 and will be using Alternate Method of Instruction (AMI) days during this period. CARE will also be closed. The District announced the decision based on guidance from and consultation with the Department of Education and Arkansas Department of Health, as well as the Governor’s office.
All school-sponsored activities have been cancelled starting today through the end of Spring Break, March 27th. This includes trips, practices for individual sports, and events. At this time, the Arkansas Activities Association will continue to host the State Basketball Tournament. LRSD will transport basketball and cheer members to this event, but we will not send a pep bus for the general student population.
All District offices will be closed to the public, however, staff will be available via email and phone. The District leadership team is meeting regularly and continues to monitor developments regarding the COVID-19 virus. The following information will provide you with resources and the latest District plans in response to COVID-19 concerns.
- As you are confronted with concerns over the potential risks associated with COVID-19 the following resources are available to receive factual information:
- https://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/ - Current information from the AR Department of Health
- https://uamshealth.com/- New 24-hour digital connection to healthcare professionals
Links to this information and additional resources may be found on www.lrsd.org.
- The state has approved LRSD to utilize five additional AMI days for a total of 10 days. As a result of today’s action, we will use 6 days. Your child’s teacher should provide information about how to access instructional materials. · We are sensitive to the reality that many families rely on District-provided meals. The District, along with the City of Little Rock, and other community partners are meeting to determine how meals will be provided. Additional information is forthcoming.
- Due to the increased potential for exposure, as an additional safeguard all out-of- state District related travel for all LRSD staff and students has been canceled through the end of the year. · All citizens are asked to review and rethink travel plans to consider whether plans will put themselves or others at higher risk of transmission. Citizens should consider risks associated with your personal travel plans over spring break.
Please remember basic self-care such as regular hand washing, social distancing, limited physical contact, remaining alert and responding to any potential symptoms are some of the best preventative measures.
In lieu of tonight’s scheduled Community Advisory Board meeting, the District will host a Twitter Town Hall Discussion on LRSD’s response to COVID-19 from 6-7 p.m. We will continue to share information via www.lrsd.org, social media platforms, parent link, and emails to staff. If you have any questions or concerns speak with Mr. Smith or Mr. Rutherford. We thank you for your support.
Mike Poore Superintendent of Schools