Gibbs Elementary School was built in 1952. The school is named for Mifflin Wistar Gibbs who was the first African American to be elected municipal court judge in the United States. Judge Gibbs was also a successful businessman who lived in this area of Little Rock. This building replaced an older school of the same name located near this same site.
In 1987, Gibbs Elementary vacated its staff and student populations to become the first international studies/foreign languages magnet school in the state. Gibbs Magnet School of International Studies and Foreign Languages has been in operation since the 1987-88 school year.
This magnet school does not have an attendance zone, but it attracts students from all over Little Rock. In November 1992, then-governor Bill Clinton visited Gibbs on his first presidential election day. He again visited Gibbs in April 1994 to give his weekly radio address in front of Gibbs students in the Media Center. In 1996, the faculty, students, and LRSD Board voted to rename the Gibbs Library for William Jefferson Clinton. In 2016, the Gibbs community worked together to see their school‘s namesake, Judge Mifflin Wistar Gibbs, inducted into the Arkansas Black Hall of Fame.
There is no uniform policy because, at Gibbs, we celebrate diversity, not uniformity.
Partners in Education
- Heifer International
- Dunbar Community Garden
- AR Teacher Retirement System
- Lion of Judah Church of God in Christ
Attendance, Schedule, Grades, Classwork & Report Cards
Home Access Center
Web tool web-based tool that allows parents/guardians to monitor your child's attendance, schedule, grades, and classwork. This includes access to interim progress and report cards. Requires an Internet connection.
Emergency School Closures
AMI - Inclement Weather Alternative Home Learning Activities