At David O. Dodd Elementary we offer an exciting and nurturing environment that is conducive to student learning. We provide innovative technology programs and an extraordinary literacy program. Your child will learn how to use desktop publishing to create projects, use the latest software to enhance learning, as well as access and evaluate Internet sources to research topics. Our literacy program includes small group instruction in literacy and a dedicated Reading Specialist. We use investigations strategies with the recent adoption of our new math and science textbooks. We also use the Every Day Counts Calendar Math program.
The school Dodd was named for David O. Dodd, a young man who was born in 1846, in Victoria, Texas.
Dodd Elementary is built on land that once was part of Washington Dodd's (David's uncle's) farm.
Originally a part of the Pulaski County Special School District, Dodd school opened in 1924. The present structure was built in 1959 with an addition in 1974. The Little Rock School District annexed the school in 1987.
Features and Programs:
- Before and after school CARE Program
- Accelerated Reader Program
- AR Kids Read
- Moby Max
- MyON reading program
- Technology integration
- Gifted and Talented Program
- Four Year Old (Pre-K) Program & P3 Three Year Old Program
- Bi-lingual Instructional Aide
- Rosetta Stone English language immersion program
- Choir and Band Program
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- Literacy Team Collaboration
- Technology Team Collaboration
- Step Up to Writing for 3rd-5th grades
- Computers in every classroom
- Thin Client Computer Lab
- SmartBoard Technology
- 1:1 Chromebook program for 4th and 5th graders
- Chromebook Carts for 2nd and 3rd grades
- Wireless Internet Access thoughout the school
- On-Line access to databases, encyclopedias and more from the media center, computer lab, classrooms, and homes with Internet access.
- Kagan Cooperative Learning integration throughout the school
- monthly Literacy Promotion Events (including Book Character Day and Read Across America)
- Artistry in the Rock
- pARTnership with the Rooker Library branch (art partnership)
- Eleven of our teachers currently have a Master's degree.
- At least seven of our educators are certified reading teachers.
- At least six of our educators have over 20 years of experience.
- One teacher is completing the AR Impact Leadership Program through U of A.
- We currently have two National Board certified teachers.
- Effective Literacy Trained teachers in 2nd-4th grade.
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) trained staff at each grade level.
- RISE trained teachers K-2nd grade
Partners in Education:
- Transamerica Worksite Marketing
- Life Skills for Youth
- Oak Park Church
- Chick-fil-A (Outlets of Little Rock)
- First Security Bank
- Castle on Stagecoach
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Central AR Library System (CALS)- Otter Creek Branch
- Love Your School, District Partner