Administration of Prescriptions at School
A. GENERAL POLICY
1. No student shall be given medication during school hours except upon written authorization from an Arkansas licensed physician/healthcare provider who has the responsibility for the medical management of the student. All such requests must be signed by the parent or guardian.
2. A new Medication Authorization form is required for each prescription change and at the beginning of each school year.
B. RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARENT/GUARDIAN
1. Parents/guardians will assume full responsibility for the supply and transportation of medications.
2. Parents/guardians may administer medication to their child on a scheduled basis arranged with the school. Elementary students are not permitted to carry prescribed or over-the-counter medications on the school campus.
3. Parents/guardians may pick up unused medications from the school office during and at the end of the school year. Medication remaining after the last day of school will be discarded to Arkansas Department of Health.
C. RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PHYSICIAN AND PARENT/GUARDIAN
1. A request form for prescribed medication must be completed by the pupil's physician, signed by the parent/guardian, filed with the school administrator or his designated representative. The prescription label on a bottle may serve as the request form from the physician.
2. The container must be clearly labeled by the physician or pharmacy with the following information.
a. Student's name
b. Physician's name
c. Name of medication
d. Dosage, schedule (specific to school) and dose form
e. Date of expiration of prescription
3. Each medication is to be in a separate pharmacy container prescribed for the student by an Arkansas licensed healthcare provider.
D. RESPONSIBILITY OF SCHOOL PERSONNEL
1. School administrator, nurse, or designee will assume responsibility for placing medications in a locked cabinet.
2. Students will be assisted with taking medications according to the physician's instructions and the procedure will be observed by a school staff member.