Transportation, First Student (School Buses)
5400 Murray Street
Little Rock, AR 72209
Note: For information on our special buses, please contact LRSD Transportation.
Main Number: 447-4130
Dispatch: 447-4160 (Late Bus Information)
Routing: 447-4161 (Bus Stop Changes & Information)
LSD: 447-4162 (Accidents & Bus Safety)
(For Student / Driver Disciplinary Concerns, Employment Opportunities, and the Contract Manager, dial the main number)
First Student Brochure for LRSD Bus Transportation:
- English Version - Just Updated 08/22/2012 (PDF)
- Spanish Version- Just Updated 08/22/2012 (PDF)
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR TRANSPORTATION?
- 1. Students living within their school’s attendance zone, but outside the two mile walk zone (secondary students), one mile walk zone (elementary students).
- 2. Students who have been ‘grandfathered’ by the LR Student Registration Office.
- 3. Little Rock students with a magnet program, AAS, ESL, NCL or qualifying homeless tag.
- 4. M-M transportation is provided on the same basis as that for regular bus routes.
TNT, ADR, AAG, Special Circumstance, and Staff Preference transfers are not eligible for transportation.
PROCEDURE FOR ASSIGNING ELIGIBLE STUDENTS TO A BUS STOP
All students will be assigned to an existing stop if there is one within walking distance (see note below).
If there is not an existing stop, a new stop will be created in about four to eight business days. Information received during any given week that requires a new bus stop will be processed for the new stop to become effective on Thursday of the following week.
LR Schools are responsible for notifying students/ parents of weekly route changes. M-M students will be given updated route sheets by their bus driver.
NOTE: THE LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL DISTRICT’S WALK DISTANCE TO A BUS STOP FOR ELEMENTARY STUDENTS IS UP TO FOUR BLOCKS (APPROXIMATELY .25 MILES) AND UP TO SIX BLOCKS (APPROXIMATELY .37 MILES) FOR MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.
PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING A BUS STOP
- 1. You may request a bus stop at the Student Registration Office, your child’s school, or First Student’s Routing Department. However, if First Student does not have your correct address on file; you will be referred to the Student Registration Office. Students on M to M transfers must make their request at the Student Registration Office.
2. Your address and other information will be verified and a school official will assist in locating a bus stop in your area by
allowing you to look at the route sheets.
- 3. Your child’s updated information will be forwarded to First Student in the form of a ‘print screen’. This will be required for any eligible student needing transportation, an address change or school transfer. The new information will be processed and a bus stop will be assigned accordingly.
4. Please allow one or two days before calling First Student concerning bus stop information. This will give the school or
the Student Registration Office time to forward the information to us.
- 5. If a stop cannot be found after looking at the route sheets, a school official can call us for assistance.
YOU MAY REQUEST A SAFETY STOP IF YOUR CHILD’S BUS STOP OR WALK TO SCHOOL IS UNSAFE DUE TO STREET / TRAFFIC CONDITIONS. THE ADMINISTRATIVE TRANSPORTATION REVIEW COMMITTEE WILL DETERMINE WHAT CONDITIONS QUALIFY AS A SAFETY HAZARD. THE PROCESSING AND REVIEW PROCEDURES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- 1. Parents must fill out a SAFETY STOP request form at the school.
- 2. The school will submit the request to First Student with a “print screen” attached.
- 3. The Administrative Transportation Review Committee will meet once a week, or as needed, to review requests.
- 4. Parents and the school will receive notification within 30 days of the committee meeting.
- 5. Incomplete or improperly filled out forms will be returned to the school.
First Student is responsible for providing a bus stop according to the guidelines set forth by the LRSD. Transportation can only be provided from home to school and school to home. Your child’s safety is of paramount importance. Please keep in mind that parents are responsible for the child’s safety to and from the bus stop. Drivers are only allowed to make stops listed on their route sheets. It is very important for you not to make arrangements with drivers to have your child picked up or dropped off at an unauthorized bus stop. This could cause your child to miss the bus if there is a substitute driver.
All students are asked to be at the bus stop ten minutes before the scheduled pick up time.
First Student will provide transportation in accordance with Isaac’s Law. All students should be loaded and unloaded in a manner that does not require the student to cross a 4-lane road. Please report any violations to First Student so that we can review the situation. It may mean that your child is using the wrong stop. Any error on behalf of the driver will be corrected immediately.
Our bus drivers should never pick-up or discharge your child at a location other than where they have been assigned, unless the student has received a bus pass from the school.
Drivers are not allowed to amend their routes without permission from a member of First Student management.
END OF YEAR FOR LRSD PARENTS