LRSD Reading Initiative 2014-2015
Little Rock School District Reading Initiative 2014-2015
Supporting LRSD Goal of All Students Reading Proficiently by the end of 3rd Grade
The New Little Rock School District's plan for reading teachers is intended to meet the needs of struggling students by providing an extension of research-based LRSD Elementary Literacy Integrated Core Curriculum. The plan for LRSD reading teachers isn't new; it is an extension of the core curriculum and instructional design for elementary literacy. Through extension of the core curriculum, reading teachers will work with groups of students with similar needs to improve literacy performance and achievement.
CUSTOMIZED TO ALL STUDENTS IN ALL SCHOOLS - PUTTING CHILDREN FIRST
• All elementary schools will have a specialized reading teacher. Currently, only 13 of our 30 elementary schools have a reading teacher.
• The number of students receiving additional reading instruction will be expanded district-wide. The proposed plan will allow up to six times as many students to receive additional reading instruction.
BASED ON BEST PRACTICES FROM LRSD ELEMENTARY LITERACY INTEGRATED CORE CURRICULUM
• Students need consistency of language and clearly defined goals to learn successfully. This proposed plan ensures a seamless connection with daily, core instruction.
• The number of 3rd-5th grade students scoring proficient or advanced in literacy on state assessments has increased 9-12% since the revision of LRSD’s elementary literacy curriculum three years ago.
• Several of our most improved schools made even higher gains using only the core curriculum without the support of Reading Recovery®.
TIERED ACCOUNTABILITY AND SAFEGUARDS
• All stakeholders will work together to ensure that students receive effective, efficient instruction with a streamlined focus on student achievement. Accountability will be improved between school and district staff.
• Consistent communication with parents and transparency are key responsibilities of the reading teachers, classroom teachers, instructional facilitators, and principals.
IMPACT BY COMMUNITY PARTNERS AND VOLUNTEERS
• LRSD will collaborate with several community partners to meet the needs of all students.
• Our VIPS will provide opportunities for students to read with a partner and with a purpose.
• Additional reading time with volunteers will increase students’ motivation and confidence.
SYSTEMIC AND SUSTAINABLE CHANGE
• Equity of resources for students will be provided to all schools.
• Teachers will be trained and supported in-district and on-site with students. This plan does not require reliance on external resources.