How to Register

Frequently Asked Questions

Where should I complete registration paperwork?
You may register your child at his/her attendance zone school or at the Student Registration Office. Your child's school assignment is determined by your residential address. To determine the name and location of your attendance zone school, you may contact the Student Registration Office.  To register a new or returning student, you will need to complete a Pupil Information Form and a Home Language Survey Form.

What do I need to bring to register my child? Click here for the Registration Checklist.
To register a student for the first time, you will need:

  • Child's official birth certificate, passport, military ID card or other documentation provided by law (ACA 6-18-210)
  • Child's social security card or number
  • Two current proofs of residence, such as a lease agreement (signed by lessee/lessor) or current utility bill, in the parent or legal guardian's name within the past 30 days (no cell phone bills accepted) or personal property tax bill 
  • Child's immunization records (provided to school after assignment)
  • For P3 and P4 students only registering for the 2018-19 school year - Proof of income is required such as paycheck stubs for parents/guardians living in the household - if both parents are living in the household - proof must be provided for both (no older than 30-45 days, two stubs, bi-weekly; four stubs, weekly); 2016 W-2 statement, 2016 federal income tax return, or Schedule 1040 C or F if the parent is self-employed; the parent may also use letter from employer stating income amount and how often paid, letter from DHS caseworker or other social service agency stating gross household income, OR documentation showing family is currently receiving food stamp benefits. Please contact the Geyer Springs Early Childhood Office at 501-447-7360 or visit at 5240 Mabelvale Pike, LR, from 8:30-5:30, Monday-Friday.

How old does my child have to be to start school (Kindergarten)?

Under Arkansas law, a child must be 5 years old on or before August 1st in order to attend school. Mandatory school attendance is required for all children in the state of Arkansas from age 5 though age 17.

When should I register my child for school?

Any time, although you should register your child as early as possible so the school will be prepared for your child.

Assignment letters for those who register during this period will be mailed during early-February and a place will be "reserved" in the child's name at the assigned school. Newcomers arriving after this initial period can register at any time either at their attendance zone school (during the school year) or in the Student Registration Office, which is open year-round.  

What if my family moves? Does my child have to change schools?

The Student Registration Office strives to provide customer service to patrons.  In doing so, exceptions are made for address changes after students attend the first day at their assigned school.  Students who move are allowed to complete the school year at the school of origin if the parent can provide transportation back to the original school.  Additionally, most students who are attending schools outside of their attendance zone (magnet schools, transfers, etc.) will not be reassigned due to an address change.  If a student was alternately assigned, they will be AUTOMATICALLY BE ASSIGNED to the neighborhood (attendance zone) school for the upcoming school year.

Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the LRSD Student Registration Office located at 501 Sherman Street in Little Rock to update his/her child's address whenever the family moves.  Click here for a change of address form. The change of address form can only be submitted at the Student Registration Office. Parents should bring two current proofs of their address in order for the form to be processed.

There may be situations where parents share housing with other family members or friends. In this case, the parent may obtain a DOUBLE-UP FAMILY FORM (AFFIDAVIT) to submit with the registration packet.  The head of household must submit a current lease (signed by the lesse and lessor) and current utility bill or personal property tax statement.  The Head of Household form must be notarized to be submitted with the registration packet.  Click here to download the DOUBLE-UP FAMILY FORM (AFFIDAVIT).